Taking center stage in the kitchen today is a mainstay of Ilocano cooking. The no-brainer severely appetizing dinakdakan is actually grilled pig face, dressed in creamy pig brain and pure sukang Iloco. No calamansi involved here! Ilocos salt, local red onions, ginger and paminta are enough to spice up the natural sweetness of pork mascara. The sili (chili) in sukang Iloco makes it even more authentic.
Lynne and I prepared the recipe for you. Enjoy!
What you’ll need:
- Half of a pig’s face including tongue
- Pig’s brain
- 3 red onions, chopped
- About an inch long piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- A pinch of ground pepper
- 3 tbsps Ilocano vinegar
- Tenderize meat by boiling in about 3 cups of water.
- Put brain in a plastic bag and dip in the same pan.
- Drain meat and slice into grilling size.
- Grill meat until skin turns somewhat crispy, and then cut into small pieces.
- In a bowl, mix the grilled meat with all the other ingredients including the boiled brain. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve with sukang Ilocos and sili.
Photographed by Blauearth © Blauearth™ All Rights Reserved 2009-2013