There are many ways to enjoy avocado. Abroad, people include avocado in their salads, tacos and sandwiches. In California, where there is an abundance of avocados because of its proximity to Mexico, the largest producer of avocados in the world, the California Maki or Roll was born; Japanese chefs invented sushi with avocado, and the creation has become a worldwide sensation.
In the Philippines, we eat avocados with sugar and milk. Ice cream, ice candy, shake, popsicle and sorbet are popular avocado by-products that Filipinos relish with much gusto.
Here’s how to make two of my favorite sweet avocado coolers:
Recipe #1: Zingy Avocado Shake/Smoothie
- 1 medium size avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 c evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp – 1/4 c diluted pineapple juice, optional (depending on your desired taste)
- crushed ice
Mix all ingredients in a blender. The subtle flavor of pineapple juice gives the avocado smoothie a refreshing zing.
Recipe # 2: Blauearth’s Chilled Avocado Dessert
- 3 medium size avocados
- 370 ml evaporated milk
- 10 tbsps sugar (you can use non-calorie Splenda instead)
1. Scoop out pitted avocado halves and place in a freezer container. Break into chunks using spoon.
2. Pour evaporated milk.
3. Add sugar and mix well.
4. Store in freezer for at least 6 hours. Serve in dessert bowls.
Have a great chill-out!
PS The smoothie recipe was requested by my niece who lives in Rockford, Illinois.
Hey, Sharon, here’s hoping you will get Zorro’s passion. More power to scorpios and leos like us☺☺