Quite easy to prepare, Intestine and Fishball Soup is wonderful, and goes well with fried rice dishes like Chicharon/Bagnet Fried Rice or Kiam Peng (Chinese Pork Adobo Rice akin to Spanish Paella or Arroz a la Valenciana).
- 1/3 k pig intestines
- 1 pack fishballs, about 500 gm
- 1 small whole garlic head, crushed
- salt to taste
- 5 cups water
- lasona leaves (native onions)
- Cut intestines diagonally into 1 inch pieces. Rub flour to remove excess grease and slimy residue, then rinse thoroughly.
- In a pot, cook intestines in 2 cups water until it boils. Drain intestines.
- Throw in intestines and garlic in 5 cups water. Cook for 30 minutes using a pressure cooker; if a conventional pot is used, cook until tender.
- Add fishballs and a pinch of salt and bring to boil. Let it simmer for a few more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped lasona leaves